Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

Books, Illustrations and All Things Cute :)

I love the local library.
Although there are several books which I covet that are unavailable, the library is stocked to the brim with many other super inspiring and lovely books.

I took out Aimee Ray's Doodle Stitching and Basic Stitches to help with my attempted journey towards stitching. With an embroidery hoop purchased from Daiso, air soluble pen from a Bernina store and Kyuuto! Embroidery (as inspiration), I think I'm all set to try out some amateur-ish stitching.

I also scoured through the children's section for delightfully illustrated books. Rita and Whatsit caught my eye. The characters are so adorable, and Rita, who is very hot-tempered adds to the adorability factor. Oh, look at how she frowns! :D

Around the World with Mouk from Amazon

However, the book which I wanted to get my sticky hands on was missing - Around the World With Mouk by Marc Boutavant. Originally in French, the English translated version was sitting at the shelf of the university bookstore, looking all attractive and colourful. The illutrations are Gorgeous. But the price made me Gasp, leaving my little struggling/poor student soul breathless.

However, if I had a little cousin/niece/nephew to pamper, I would have promptly paid for it. (Probably keep it with me for a couple of years first before giving it to the child). But since I had none, back on the shelf it went.

1. marini*monteany - Illustration
2. marini*monteany - Illustration
both from Design Festa

Also, I had the pleasure of being introduced to Marini Monteany's gorgeous work via Angela's lovely blog: three buttons. Marini Monteany truly rocks!

Now prepare for the King of all Super-Cutes (until something else cuter comes along... :D):

Dumpling Dynasty Explorer Kit from Wu & Wu


Have you heard of Dumpling Dynasty? It has the cutest things ever - totes, child play kits and pouches. My absolute favourite is the Young Explorer Kit which has vintage-style metal torch, magnifying glass, metal compass, string with knot-guide and notebook and pencil.

Or if you are looking for something more sewing-related, consider this Easy Sew Bunny Kit!


Dumpling Dynasty Bunny Kit from Wu & Wu

Each kit costs USD 18 from Wu & Wu webshop, and the local store I found them was selling them at NZD 45 each *whispers - eeeekkk!*. Again, my poor student soul can hardly take the steep price tag. But it is lovely to see how gifts can be so inspiring, cute and child-practical all at the same time. It makes me feel like assembling my own kit :).


And ohmigoodness! What is this? A cute walking radish and whimsical bambi?

If you are interested, check out Wu & Wu which is based in Chicago, for more Chinese cuteness. And listen to the cute Chinese song they play on the website!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love Mouk too! So cute! I saw it a while ago when I was baby sitting! And ended up falling in love with the illustrations!
    You have a cute blog! I love kawaii and zakka things too!
    :)
    Love Love
    Hello Sandwich
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear how much you love Marini Monteany's work, it is awesome work!

    And I love dumpling dynasty too, I meet the illustrator and owner of Dumpling Dynasty last year at a London trade fair, she is really sweet : )

    ReplyDelete

♥Thanks for leaving a note♥
I love reading every one of them =)